Monday, July 14, 2008

Time

Whew I didn't want my first post to be a africa time raving rant. Good thing I came up with a stupid explanation of this blog.

Last week I was on vacation in Zanzibar and instead of extending my stay a couple of days like I wanted to, I came back to film a Ugandan named Francis distributing a wheelchair from Free Wheel Chair Mission. The plan was to FedEx a tape to free on Friday so that the editor could have it in time for Franic's upcoming trip to the US.

I had everything ready to go and asked someone in my office to have FedEx pick up the package. I had to leave the office early on friday. They said it would not get to the office in time to go out Friday but it would go out on Saturday. I said that's fine and went on with my life. Fast forward to Monday at 5 pm I finally get around to asking the receptionist at ARM for the airway bill. She says oh they didn't come. Its 5 pm on Monday and the FedEx guy walked in as I was interrogating her to find out if she knew why they didn't come. He acted like it was my fault!!! GGGRRRRR!!!! Called the office and then started back tracking with me as soon as he realized it was in fact his offices fault for not dispatching him..... 3 days prior.

Sometimes I do not understand this continients attitudes towards time. I know that I am hyper active towards time but I have learned to relax a lot. I don't expect things to move at the same pace as my southern California home. However I do expect a company whose primary purpose it to get things around the world on time to show up for a pickup within 24 hours of the arranged pickup time..... I sent him away and now get the lovely task of trying to upload the video to my server from the slowest internet connection in the world..... I think I will spend tomorrow at the Serna where there is a high-speed connection and lattes........ I am reorg-ing the focus of my work from now until eternity: the concept of time

No comments: