Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Mubende Bible Distributions

Time flies by even in Uganda. A while back I traveled to the Mubende district to deliver Bibles to a couple of schools. I love visiting projects. Project visitation reminders me of my reasons for temporarily giving up my life in the states for a life in Uganda. Seeing the work of so many dedicated Ugandans striving towards developing the next generation is always an inspiration to me.


We arrived at the first school just as classes stopping for break time.


I wandered around taking photos and hanging out with the kids while Abbey, the head of Education at

Africa Renewal, and Beth met with some of the teachers in the open air thatched roof “staff room”.

Then boxes of bibles were delivered to each classroom and handed out to each of the children.


Now seeing that I am probably the world’s worst missionary when it comes to passing along all things “Christian” and cynicism, I was completely blown away by the response of the kids. They were bouncing in their seats with excitement. Every kid in the classroom received a copy and they eagerly opened their own copy of the book I try to read daily. I realized then this how precious

and important that book was to each of them. It was the only book in the school that they did not have to share with each other and it gives

them the opportunity to read what the word of God says on their own without someone interpreting it and telling what it says. I would have scoffed at this gift at their age and am repeatedly challenged by African children to be content with what I have and to express happiness for the things I am given.



1 comment:

michele bennett said...

i love your pics and your stories. miss you!