Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Alarm Clocks

I just read my friend Beth's blog and it reminded me that there are funny things that happen here everyday. I have been here to long and have forgot how crazy things can be here. I have tried to keep my travel motto just keep laughing but some days it is easier said than done.

Funny things number one: Impossible to sleep. Here are some of the things that have woken me up when I am trying to sleep.

1. Packs of wild dogs fighting or mating or both.
2. The drunk guy who always comes home and honks at his gate for 15 mintues no matter what time it is. Can't he get a key?
3. Various types of poultry making noises at all hours. I always believed kids books that said the rooster wakes up with the sun. I have learned the roosters dont sleep.
4. The shhsss ssshhhss shhssss sounds of sweeping with local brooms on cement.
5. The rise in temperature when the power goes out and the fan goes out.
6. Torrential rain pouring on your head though the open window above your bed.
7. Staff of the house that I stay in rearranging all the furniture at 7 am on a Saturday for a team that is arriving the following Tuesday.
8. Crying babies that turn out to be wild cats.
9. Cars driving through village streets with loud speakers strapped on top screaming to either repent to Jesus or submit to Allah (its in Luganda so I am really not sure which but I am fairly confident that its evangelism of some sort but I am pretty sure neither of them want to be yelled at)
10. The flapping wings of those hideous "storks" when they fly over my roof.
11. Screeching monkeys, bats and/or birds

No comments: